Does it work with express versions?

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I was able to install this extension on C# Express 2010, and it appears under Expressions. During installation process, it recognized VS 2010 C# Express. However, when I run my already made project with EF Model, I don't see CSLA properties for model in model designer property window, nor for entities. I dont see also this extension under Code Generation Items, nor under Add New Item.

Can anyone confirm that it is working with express editions?

Thanks,

Goran

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Well, I was able to see CSLAextension.template under New Item by shortening the names of actual zip file, and vstemplate file. However, I was still unable to see it under Add Code generation item. If I added it to My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#\ then It appeared under it.

Still, I dont see any CSLA properties in model designer, also the code that is generated looks like this (without using)

// 
namespace DatabaseModel
{
} // end of namespace DatabaseModel
// 
namespace DatabaseModel
{

#region Class FinansijeEntitiesDatabase
    public sealed class FinansijeEntitiesDatabase
    {
        public static string Name = "FinansijeEntities";
    }
	#endregion // Class FinansijeEntitiesDatabase
} // end of namespace DatabaseModel

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Goran,

I'll try to reproduce this behavior when I get some free time. I did not use the express version before.

Josip

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Josip,

I have tried installing VS 2010 Trial, and there I see CSLA properties, there is extension in Add New Item, but not extension in Add Code Generation Item. There is some problem with Property Editor in VS C# express that prevents CSLA properties from showing up. It would be very nice if you can make it work with Express versions also.

Goran

Developer
Apr 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Goran,

It might not be possible to get this extension to work with VS Express, as it doesn't have the same extensibility model:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/cba49ad3-ad5c-4b10-b33c-948ce191c2a4/

It seems that the Express version was not intended to support our type of extension.

@Josip:

Should we change the VSIX manifest to make sure it won't install on Express ?

Luc

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Luc,

the problem you have linked isnt the same as with this extension. When installing the extension, it clearly states, that it has installed successfully on C# express 2010, no exception is given, as is the case in the link you have provided.

Developer
Apr 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Goran,

My point is made not in the original posting in this link, but in the accepted answer, but to make things clearer, I'll quote the relevant part:

The Extension Manager dialog exists in Visual Studio 2010 Express editions only to support certain kinds of extensions. Specifically, it supports templates and toolbox controls. This is also why "Express" is a possibility for your target SKU's in the VSSDK tooling.

Visual Studio Packages, MEF components (to extend the editor), or other extension content types should not install or load on Express editions.

I have also read many times that Express doesn't support the same extensibility model as the other versions. I could post other links if you wish ?

So even though our VSIX does install without error on Express, it doesn't mean that it will work. I have never tested against Express, so I don't want to be dogmatic about this, but I'm pretty near sure it will not work.

Luc

Developer
Apr 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Here's more info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2009/12/09/building-and-publishing-an-extension-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Look for this quote:

Note - extensions will only work on the Integration Shell, Pro, Premium, and Ultimate. The extension won’t work in the Express Editions. If you want to build extensions for the Express Editions, you’re limited to toolbox controls, item templates, project templates, and custom start pages.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Luc