Demo Problems

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Hey guys,

I need some help here. I am just not getting things set up right. Here's what I see:

1. The demo does not generate objects as none of the tamplates or namespaces are set or I don't understand what is happening at all??
  2. I created my own project with just a Cusotomer entity in the edmx (I renamed from Customers to Customer, I don't like plurals on singular objects)
    1. In demo Customers was generated as:  public partial class Customers : Csla.BusinessBase<Customers>
    2. In my project Customer was generated as:  public partial class Customer : Csla.BusinessBase<Customer>, IEquatable<Customer>
    3. In demo, regions are:  KeyCriteria, Simple properties, Factory Methods, DataAccess - Read, ...  
    4. In my project: Key, Properties, Navigation Properties, Business Rules, Default Constructor .... In addition in the demo the object is declared as
    5. Clearly the template I have is different than what was used in demo, or I am doing something wrong????
  3. My project generated this: Which gives me errors: Non generic CriteriaBase can not be used with type arguments and Cannot access proteced memeber cSL.Core.BusinessBase.ReadProperty<P>(Csal.PropertyInfo<P>) via a qualifier of type NorthwindBL.Customer.Key..

public class Key : CriteriaBase<Key>

{

public static PropertyInfo<string> CustomerIDProperty = RegisterProperty<string>(c => c.CustomerID);

public string CustomerID

{

get { return ReadProperty<string>(CustomerIDProperty); }

set { LoadProperty<string>(CustomerIDProperty, value);

What am I doing wrong or why is the demo so out of date??  How do I install your most current template code (The source code download date is later than the release download)

I just need a little help to get started here. Thanks

BarryFz

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Hi Barry.

I'll see if I can update the demo project now.

Josip 

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I think I get it now. You've downloaded the old demo project from Downloads page?

You'll find latest demo if you download the source code. If you want i can extract this project for you?

If you need any more help feel free to ask.

~Josip

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I've checked the demo now and everything works for me.

~Josip

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Thanks, I'll look at it first thing in the morning. I new I was missing something.

barryfz

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I have pulled the 56954 zip file down. How do I install this?  What should I do to start looking at it. Sorry for all the ignorance, it will pass.

barryfz

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM

You don't need to install anything but CslaExtension in order to build just the demo project.

If you want to build CslaExtension solution, you need to install  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=47305cf4-2bea-43c0-91cd-1b853602dcc5

Josip

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I want to create my own applications. Don't I need a .vsix file to install so I have the right template?  I installed the one from the sites main page download which is how I got into trouble with this to start with. Can I build my own .vsix and install it?

Barryfz

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

You don't have to build your own vsix. Install latest vsix from the downloads page and you'll be fine.

Problem is just with the demo application from downloads page because it's more then one year old.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM

OK, I am making progress.  First problem was that I was using CSLA 3.8, it appears to want 4, I am now using 4.1.  Next problem seemed to be wiht the Namespace settings.  I had set schema.namespace is edmx to NorthwindModel_Customer (I am only doing Customer for now), I had set the Csla.Csla BL Namespace to NorthwindBL and Csla DAL Namespace to NorthwindModel_Customer.  After codegen it couldn't find Customer object.  I changed schema.namespace to NorthwindBL.Data and DAL Namspace to empty string, that cleared up the problem.   I am guessing that I will wind up with more than one .edmx in order to create more than one type of object for each entity (editable, readonly, list, root, etc).

Can you explain the proper use of these three fields? Should the DAL be defined? 

Also should I move to the Alpa vsix?  Are there instrucitons on how to modigy the vsix code and deploy?

barryfz

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Barry, everything about namespaces is described in the documentation.

You don't need to move to Alpha vsix, I'm using 1.0.1 release for my development.

I don't understand this part about deployment...

~Josip

Developer
Mar 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

You ask about modifying the VSIX. What would you like to modify ?

The VSIX part of the source is my baby, and I have to admit that I had to read a whole sh*t load of documentation to get it to work as we wanted. Unless you think there's something that really needs fixing, I wouldn't touch it :-)

Regards

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Where are namespaces explained in the documentation/ WHen I look at the QuickReference the properties don't even match what I see  now.

Barry

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Really I don't know what i will want to change in the VSIX yet, but I am sure that sooner or later I will find something I would generate differently.  CSLA is a very flexible framework afterall.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with this as I am just getting to know it, just think it is likely I'll find something.

barryfz