Using the extension with data providers that do not support distributed transactions.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I tried the extension against an entity model created from VistaDB - distributed transactions are not supported.

So, when the code generated from the csla tt is run an exception is thrown.

"The underlying provider failed on EnlistTransaction.". and the Inner exception was "Specified method is not supported."

Would it be possible to have a property on the csla section of the edmx designer for developers to indicate that distributed transactions are not supported and the csla tt to pick this up and generate code for such data providers. I guess the code might look like

using (DSDAL.DataStudioEntities ctx = new DSDAL.DataStudioEntities())

}

Interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers,

Sam.

{

set values etc

ctx.AddToProjects(prj);

ctx.SaveChanges();

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:38 AM
Would this mean that no transaction would be used? We can add a property to indicate the transaction type: TransactionScope, EnterpriseService and None.
Jun 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I guess it would mean no txn. Below is the response I got from support from VistaDB

"Distributed transactions have never been supported, hence the error that the method does not exist.

You have to either be a COM component or a server to handle them. We run within your process.  Your process goes away, we go away. What would be around to rollback or commit the transaction?  Nothing."

So a property to allow a developer to indicate the txn type would be great.

Cheers,

Sam.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:15 AM
Ok, no problem. Will create new work item.
Jun 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.